NEWPORT MEDIEVAL SHIP
OPEN TO VISITORS
in our Medieval Ship Centre at
Unit 20, Estuary Road,
Queensway Meadows Industrial Estate,
Newport, NP19 4SP
FREE ADMISSION (donations welcomed)
Regular opening times:
During the main season (Easter until the end of October), the Medieval Ship Centre is open on Fridays, Saturdays and bank holiday Mondays, 10.30am – 4.30pm (last entry at 4pm)
Winter Opening Schedule 2016-17:
The Centre will be closed after 10 December 2016 until February Half Term on Saturday 18 February 2017. Full details of opening days and times for 2017 will be published shortly
Come and see this fascinating project as we continue the conservation of our 15th century vessel, found on the banks of the River Usk just 14 years ago. Hear the story of the excavation of the remains; see the conservation process and some of our 560 year old timbers and precious artefacts.
We are happy to host organised group visits to the Ship Centre given advance notice. To arrange a group visit, please contact the curator on 01633 274167 or e-mail Newport.firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
What you will see:
The Newport Medieval Ship project is just that; it's a project in progress. It's an exciting, live archaeological conservation project. Currently, we have about 55% of the Ship's timbers back in our climate-controlled store. The remaining 45% are in 2 covered tanks, one at the Medieval Ship Centre, fully saturated in the special preservative, and the other undergoing the next stage of preservation at York. We are now preparing for the next phase of the project: reconstruction of our impressive Ship in full public view.
Come and hear the stories of the discovery of the wreck, the sheer scale of the vessel, the recovery of the timbers, the recording and modelling of what the Ship looked like, the conservation process being undertaken, the detective story that defines when and where she was built, and our vision for the future display of the re-assembled Ship. But come to understand Newport and Medieval times, the lives of the people, the trade that was being plied and the history of the Ship itself: where and when it was built, where it traded, what it carried and why it came to Newport.
They are fascinating stories, told by the volunteer guides who have a passion for this amazing project, delving back into the past and envisioning a future of reconstruction and public display.
By Car: The Queensway Meadows Industrial Estate is signposted off Newport's Southern Distributor Road (A48) roundabout at Newport Retail Park, Spytty. Follow the brown & white signs for the Newport Wetlands, turning right at the roundabout in front of the Stratstone Land Rover garage. At MotorPoint, turn right onto Estuary Road, and carry on into the Estate. Follow round the left-hand bend until the fenced-off yard on the left for our courtyard. The Ship Centre is Unit 20, the second unit on the left hand side. For SatNavs, please use postcode NP19 4SP.
By Bus: Catch the No. 21 from Newport City Centre to Newport Retail Park, Spytty and follow the road around as above. The No.63 service from Newport City Centre is an 'on request' service that passes along Estuary Road and can drop off and pick up outside the Ship Centre. Please contact NewportBus to request this service.
Access Guide – Newport Medieval Ship Centre
- There are 12 outlined parking spaces in front of the centre; none of these are designated for Disabled, blue badge holders.
- The parking spaces closest to the ramp for disabled access are 3 -4 metres away.
- Entrance to the centre for all, including wheelchair users and those with pushchairs is to the left of the office door through the roller shutter.
- The centre is all on one level.
- Seating is available throughout the centre.
- There are toilet facilities but none specifically for wheelchair users.
- Volunteers are available to lead guided tours for visitors
- There are a number of artefacts within the centre which can be handled by visitors under the supervision of our volunteers.
- The centre has a good standard of written material to support the project.
- A small selection of hot and cold drinks is available to purchase on site.
- Male and Female toilets are available
- Merchandise is also available to purchase
- Family friendly activities including costumes, books, basic crafts, trails and games can be used by visitors.
- Dogs are permitted on site but must be kept on a lead at all times and leave the premises to relieve themselves.
- Volunteers are available to lead guided tours and assist with hands – on activities