NEWPORT MEDIEVAL SHIP
OPEN TO VISITORS
in our new Ship Centre at
Unit 20, Estuary Road,
Queensway Meadows Industrial Estate,
Newport, NP19 4SP
Regular opening times:
The Ship Centre is open on Fridays and Saturdays from Friday 24 July 2015, 10.30am – 4.30pm (last entry at 4pm)
Come and see this fascinating project as we continue the conservation of our 15th century vessel, found on the banks of the River Usk just 13 years ago. Hear the story of the excavation of the remains; see the conservation process and some of our 560 year old timbers and precious artefacts.
Now we are open again we would be happy to host organised group visits to the Ship Centre. To arrange a group visit, please contact the Ship Team on 01633 274167 or e-mail Newport.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winter Opening Schedule 2015 - 16
Now – 31 October 2015 (end of half-term) Open Fridays & Saturdays
1st November – 12 December Open Saturdays only
13th December – 11 February 2016 Closed
12th February – 20 February (Half-term) Open Friday & Saturday
26th February – 20 March Open Saturdays only
25 March 2016 onwards Open Fridays & Saturdays
Access Guide – Newport Medieval Ship Centre
- There are 12 outlined parking spaces in front of the centre; none of these are designated for Disabled, blue badge holders.
- The parking spaces closest to the ramp for disabled access are 3 -4 metres away.
- Entrance to the centre for all, including wheelchair users and those with pushchairs is to the left of the office door through the roller shutter.
- The centre is all on one level.
- Seating is available throughout the centre.
- There are toilet facilities but none specifically for wheelchair users.
- Volunteers are available to lead guided tours for visitors
- There are a number of artefacts within the centre which can be handled by visitors under the supervision of our volunteers.
- The centre has a good standard of written material to support the project.
- A small selection of hot and cold drinks is available to purchase on site.
- Male and Female toilets are available
- Merchandise is also available to purchase
- Family friendly activities including costumes, books, basic crafts, trails and games can be used by visitors.
- Dogs are permitted on site but must be kept on a lead at all times and leave the premises to relieve themselves.
- Volunteers are available to lead guided tours and assist with hands – on activities
By Car: The Queensway Meadows Industrial Estate is signposted off Newport's Southern Distributor Road (A48) roundabout at Newport Retail Park, Spytty. Follow the brown & white signs for the Newport Wetlands, turning right at the roundabout in front of the Stratstone Land Rover garage. At MotorPoint, turn right onto Estuary Road, and carry on into the Estate. Follow round the left-hand bend until the fenced-off yard on the left for our courtyard. The Ship Centre is Unit 20, the second unit on the left hand side.
By Bus: Catch the No. 21 from Newport City Centre to Newport Retail Park, Spytty and follow the road around as above.